Dr Richard Stawell is a Specialist Ophthalmologist who has a special interest in managing patients with eyelid and lacrimal disorders, cataract, glaucoma, inflammatory eye disease and complex ophthalmology.
Following fellowship training Dr Richard Stawell spent time in the United Kingdom consolidating his surgical expertise. On coming back to Australia, the main focus was building a comprehensive surgical ophthalmology practice at Cabrini Hospital. In addition considerable time was spent on staff at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital and Alfred Hospitals (1987-2007) where he mainly specialised in oculoplastics, lacrimal and orbital surgery.
The opportunity arose to manage patients with complex inflammatory eye disorders at the Alfred Hospital and this interest led to spending sabbatical time in the United Kingdom and United States. He then became director of the Ocular Immunology Clinic at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital (1992 – 2014). He remains committed to this clinic and is involved in its international clinical trials.
Other activities include involvement with international development programs over his career in the South Pacific and East Timor. He is currently a visiting lecturer through Life Line Express’s international development education program in China. He has recently been involved in the Lions Outback Vision Project in Western Australia.
Involvement with ophthalmology organisations is an important part of Dr Stawell’s professional life, and he is a past president of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (2009-11), has been chair of the College’s research arm (The Ophthalmic Research Institute of Australia) and also a past chairman of the Senior Medical Staff of the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital.
- Visiting Ophthalmologist, Ocular Immunology Clinic, Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital 2014 - Current
- Visiting Professor Liaocheng People’s Hospital, China 2015 - 2016
- LifeLine Express Teaching Zhoukou, China 2014
- Member East Timor Eye Surgery Team (Pacific Island Program) 2006 - 2007
- Ophthalmologist contracted to Australian South Pacific Eye Consultant Teams 1989 – 1996
- Consultant Ophthalmologist to Lions Outback Vision Project 2017 -
- Visiting Surgeon, (Ophthalmology), Alfred Hospital 1987 - 2007
- Visiting Ophthalmologist, OPAL Clinic, Royal Victorian Eye & Ear Hospital 1983 -1993
- Head of Ocular Immunology Clinic Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital 1992 - 2014
- Vision 2020 Australia - RANZCO representative; Member Global Committee & Member International Development Consortium Committee 2012 - 2013
- The RANZCO Eye Foundation - Member of Board of Directors 2012 - Current
- Member Ministerial Advisory Committee on Surgical Services 2008 - 2012
- RANZCO - Member, Victorian Brand State Committee 1984 - 1991 & 1998
- RANZCO - Secretary, Victorian Branch 1958 - 1988
- RANZCO - Federal Councillor 1988 - 1991
- RANZCO - Chairman, Victorian Branch 1990 - 1991
- RANZCO - Victorian Brand Qualifications and Education 1991 - 2014
- RANZCO - Member Council 1998 - 2011
- RANZCO - Member Executive 2001 - 2002
- RANZCO - Member Board 2002 - 2011
- Examiner for Final Fellowship Exams (RACE) 2004 - 2012
- RANZCO - Honorary Treasurer 2007 - 2009
- RANZCO - President 2009 - 2011
- Member Council (Eye Surgeons Foundation Rep) 2015 - Current
- Ophthalmic Research Institute of Australia (ORIA) Member - 1980
- ORIA Board Member 1990 - 2002
- ORIA Honorary Secretary 1991 - 1998
- ORIA Chairman 1998 - 2005