A/Prof Julian Rait OAM
MBBS(Melb), FRANZCO, FRACS, FAICD
Associate Professor Julian Rait is a Specialist Ophthalmologist and Principal at Eye Surgery Associates who specialises in glaucoma management. He is an Associate Professor in Ophthalmology at the University of Melbourne, having been involved in clinical Glaucoma research in the Department of Ophthalmology since 1991. He was a federal councillor of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists between 1995 and 2003, and was also elected to the board of the Ophthalmic Research Institute of Australia, being the Honorary Treasurer between 1995 and 2002 and the Vice-Chairman between 2002 and 2005. He is currently the President of the Australian Medical Association (Victoria) and the Chairman of the Council of Private Specialist Practice for the Federal AMA.
A/Prof Julian Rait also served as the head of the Glaucoma Unit at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital from 1993 to 2005, and subsequently was elected President & Chairman of MDA National Limited, a leading medical indemnity insurer representing 35,000 doctors, dentists and medical students across Australia. He became a fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors in 2008, and has served on several Boards concerned with both indigenous and overseas aid. A/Prof Rait was a Board member of the RANZCO Eye Foundation between 2009 and 2011, and has served as Chairman of Anglican Overseas Aid – a fully DFAT accredited relief and development agency of the Anglican Church of Australia – since 2013.
A/Prof Rait was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) in the Australia Day Honours in 2018 for “service to Ophthalmology and for the development of international aid”.
Note: Following his election as the President of the Australian Medical Association (Victoria) in mid 2018, A/Prof Rait decided to significantly reduce his private consulting practice and therefore will no longer be taking patient appointments.
- Comprehensive Ophthalmology
- Glaucoma Specialist – Associate Professor of Ophthalmology, University of Melbourne, 2005-present.
- President of the Australian Medical Association (Victoria) 2018-present
- Chairman of Council of Private Specialist Practice, Australian Medical Association, May 2016-2018
- Chairman of Council, AMA Victoria, May 2017-present
- Chairman, Anglican Oversea Aid (DFAT accredited international relief and development agency), 2012-present.
- Chairman, Sovereign Healthcare (owner and developer of the Vermont South Medical Centre in suburban Melbourne), 2016-present
- Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD), 2008-present
- Board member Eye Surgery Associates, 1991-present
- Member, Avant Foundation Board, May 2017-present
- Member, Avant State Advisory Committee, February 2016-present
- Chairman MDA National Mutual Board, 2008-2014
- Member, MDA National Mutual and Insurance Board Member 2004-2014
- Member, RANZCO Eye Surgeons Foundation Board, 2009 and 2011
- Vice-Chairman and Treasurer, Ophthalmic Research Institute of Australia, 1995-2005
- Head of Glaucoma Unit Eye & Ear Hospital, Melbourne 1993-2005
- Federal Councillor, RANZCO (Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists), 1996 – 2003
- Chairman, Victorian State Branch, RANZCO, 1997 – 1998
- Clinical Instructor & Fellow in Glaucoma, Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Science, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MISSOURI, USA, 1990-1991.
- Clinical Fellow in Glaucoma, University Hospitals, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OHIO, USA, 1989-1990.
FOREIGN AID AND VOLUNTEER SURGERY:
Volunteer Surgeon, Australian South Pacific Eye Consultant Teams to:
• Vanuatu, May 1987
• The Kingdom of Tonga, September 1987
• The Republic of Tuvalu, October 1998
• The Republic of Kiribati, June 1989
• The Republic of Kiribati, October 1991
• The Republic of Tuvalu, September 1992
• The Kingdom of Tonga, October 2004
Volunteer Surgeon, Fred Hollows Foundation teaching tour, Vietnam. September 1994
Volunteer Surgeon, Himalayan Cataract Foundation, Tilganga Eye Hospital Kathmandu, Nepal, November 2006 and October 2011.
- Book chapter: Migraine and ophthalmic causes of headache in “Headache, bruxism and related conditions”. Elsevier. Published May 2009. Foreword by Professor Ed Byrne.
- Souzeau E, Siggs OM, Rait JL, Craig JE et al. Glaucoma spectrum and age-related prevalence of individuals with FOXC1 and PITX2 variants. Eur J Hum Genet. 2017 Jun;25(7):839-847.
- Rait JL. Complaints disquiet. MJA InSight, Med J Aust, 08 Jul 2013.
- Rait JL. How best do we compensate for accidental medical injuries? Med J Aust. 2012 Sep 3;197(5):299-300.
- Rait JL, Van Ekert EH.Legal aspects of open disclosure II: attitudes of health professionals - findings from a national survey. Med J Aust. 2011 Jan 3; 194(1):48.
- Rait JL, Adena MA. Persistency rates for prostaglandin and other hypotensive eyedrops: Population-based study using pharmacy claims data. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2007 Sep;35(7):602-11.
- Zahari M, Mackey DA, Craig JE, Mackinnon JR, Rait JL, Liebelt JE, Ayala-Lugo R, Vollrath D, Richards JR. A Review of Eight Families with Nail-Patella Syndrome (NPS) and its Association with Glaucoma. Br J Ophthalmol. 2006 Jul 6
- Zahari M, Mukesh BN, Rait JL, Taylor HR, McCarty CA. Progressive visual field loss in open angle glaucoma in the Melbourne Visual Impairment Project. Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2006 Jan;34(1):20-6.
- Rait, JL, Low, CH, Leuenberger, EU, Singh, P, O’Rourke, MT, Romani, R Wanichwecha-rungruang, B. Efficacy and safety of Bimatoprost in subjects with open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension: A prospective, clinical study in the Asia-Pacific region. Asian Journal of Ophthalmology, August 2005
- Robin TA, Mukesh BN, Muller A, Rait JL Keefe JE, Taylor HR. Performance of Community-based Glaucoma Screening Using Frequency Doubling Technology and Heidelberg Retinal Topography. Ophthalmic Epidemiology12, 205-216, 2005.
- Wong, EY, Keeffe, JE, Rait, JL, Vu HT, McCarty C, Taylor HR. Detection of undiagnosed glaucoma by eye health professionals. Ophthalmology; 2004 Aug; 111(8):1508-14.
- Noe G, Ferraro J, Lamoureux E, Rait JL, Keeffe JE. Associations between glaucomatous visual field loss and participation in activities of daily living. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2003 Dec;31(6):482-6.
- Sun D, Rait JL, Kalloniatis M. Inner retinal neurons display differential responses to NMDA J Comp Neurol. 2003 Oct 6;465(1):38-56.
- Mukesh BN, McCarty CA, Rait JL, Taylor HR. Five-year incidence of open-angle glaucoma: the visual impairment project. Ophthalmology. 2002 Jun;109(6):1047-51.
- Craig JE, Baird PN, Healey DL, McNaught AI, McCartney PJ, Rait JL, Dickinson JL, Roe L, Fingert JH, Stone EM, Mackey DA. Evidence for genetic heterogeneity within eight glaucoma families, with the GLC1A Gln368STOP mutation being an important phenotypic modifier. Ophthalmology 2001 Sep;108(9):1607-20
- Khong JJ., Dimitrov PN, Rait JL, McCarty, CA, Can the Specificity of the FDT for Glaucoma be improved by confirming abnormal results? Journal of Glaucoma., 2001, 10:199-202.
- McNaught AI, Allen JG, Healey DL, McCartney PJ, Coote M, Wong T, Craig JE, Green CM, Rait JL, Mackey DA (2000). Accuracy and Implications of a Reported Family History of Glaucoma: Experience from the Glaucoma Inheritance Study in Tasmania (GIST). Archives of Ophthalmology 2000, 118, 900-04.
- Rait JL Management of ocular hypertension and primary open angle glaucoma. Clin Exp Optom. 2000 May-Jun;83(3):136-144.
- Rait JL. An evidence-based approach to glaucoma therapy. Clin Exp Optom. 2000 May-Jun;83(3):111-112. PMID: 12472441
- Rait JL. Primary Open Angle Glaucoma. Effective Management. New Ethics Journal., 2000; May, 67-74.
- Rait JL. Systemic effects of topical ophthalmic beta-adrenoceptor antagonists. Aust NZ J Ophthalmol 1999; 27(1): 57-64.
- Rait JL. The Effective Management of Primary Open Angle Glaucoma. Current Therapeutics September 1999
- Fingert JH, Heon E, Liebmann JM, Yamamoto T, Craig JE, Rait JL, Kawase K, Hoh ST, Buys YM, Dickinson J, Hockey RR, Williams-Lyn D, Trope G, Kitazawa Y, Ritch R, Mackey DA, Alward WL, Sheffield VC, Stone EM. Analysis of myocilin mutations in 1703 glaucoma patients from five different populations. Hum Mol Genet 1999; 8 (5): 899-905.
- Rait JL. The prevention of Ganglion Cell Suicide in Primary Open Angle Glaucoma. Asian Journal of Ophthalmology., 1998; Vol 1., 2-8.
- Rota-Bartelink A, Story RH, Pitt A, Rait JL. Automated flicker perimetry in early primary open angle glaucoma. Aust NZ J Ophthalmol, 1996; 24 (2 Suppl.): 25-7.
- Rait JL. Seven million too many. Editorial. Br J Ophthalmol 1996; 80 (5): 385-6.
- Sack J, Healey DL, de Graaf AP, Wilkinson RM, Wilkinson CH, Barbour JM, Coote MA, McCartney PJ, Rait JL, Cooper RL, Ring MA, Mackey DA. The problem of overlapping glaucoma families in the Glaucoma Inheritance Study in Tasmania (GIST). Ophthalmic Genet 1996; 17 (4): 209-14.
- Young IM, Rait JL, Carson CA, Taylor HR. Fastpac visual field screening. Ophthalmic Epidemiol 1995; 2 (3): 117-21.
- Rait JL, McCartney PJ, Coote MA, Buttery RG, Sack J, Barbour JA, Wilkinson RM, Mackey DA. The phenotype of the glaucoma pedigree GTas1 from the Hereditary Glaucoma Study in Tasmania. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1995; 36 Suppl.: Abstract No 1640, p349.
- Coote MA, Rait JL, McCartney PJ, Rivers M, Lynch J, Mackey DA. The phenotype of the Glaucoma Pedigree GVic1 from the Hereditary Glaucoma Study in Tasmania. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1995; 36 Suppl.: Abstract No 1638, p349.
- McCartney PJ, Coote MA, Rait JL, Buttery RG, Platts DG, Barbour JA, Wilkinson RM, Wilkinson CH, Mackey DA. The phenotype of the Glaucoma Pedigree GTas2 from the Hereditary Glaucoma Study in Tasmania. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1995; 36 Suppl.: Abstract No 1639, p349.
- Kolker AE, Kass MA, Rait JL. Releasable sutures for trabeculectomy. Arch Ophthalmol 1994; 112 (1): 62-6.
- Young IM, Rait JL, Carson CA, Taylor HR. A comparison between Fastpac and conventional Humphrey Perimetry. Aust NZ J Ophthalmol 1994; 22 (2): 95-9.
- Kolker AE, Kass MA, Rait JL. Trabeculectomy with releasable sutures. Transactions of the American Ophthalmological Society. 91:131-41, 1993.
- Danks, J, Kaufman, DV, Rait, JL. A clinical and cytological study of Vitamin A deficiency in Kiribati. Aust NZ J Ophthalmol October 1992. Vol 20, No. 3,215.
- Collie, DM, Rait, JL Galbraith, JE, Public hospital day case surgery in a dedicated facility. Aust NZ J Ophthalmol. November 1989. Vol 17(4): 409-412.
- Rait, JL., O’Day, J, Acute Macular Neuroretinopathy. Aust NZ J Ophthalmol. November 1987, Vol 15(4): 337-41.