Dr Simon Skalicky
FRANZCO, MPhil, MMed (Ophthal Sci), MBBS (Hons1), PhD
Dr Simon Skalicky is a Specialist Ophthalmologist and Principal Associate at Eye Surgery Associates, with subspecialty skills in glaucoma and cataract surgery.
After completing medical school with first class honours, hospital residency and Ophthalmology training in Australia, he undertook subspecialty fellowship training at Cambridge in the United Kingdom where he studied and practised glaucoma and cataract surgery. Currently he holds consultant posts at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital and Royal Melbourne Hospital.
An advocate of evidence-based best practice Simon has published over 40 articles in international journals, a highly regarded textbook on Ocular and Visual Physiology, and is a reviewer for several Ophthalmology journals. He is actively involved in training medical students, Ophthalmology registrars and glaucoma subspecialty fellows.
Dr Skalicky is an active clinical researcher in the field of glaucoma, particularly interested in evaluating glaucoma surgery and treatment from the patients’ perspective and their quality of life. He has been appointed an Honorary Research Fellow at the Centre for Eye Research Australia.
Dr Skalicky is also a Clinical Senior Lecturer at the University of Melbourne. He is a federal Councillor and Chair of the Ophthalmology Liaison Committee for Glaucoma Australia. He is Victorian representative for the Australia and New Zealand Glaucoma Society Committee and has been elected to the prestigious Associate Advisory Board at the World Glaucoma Association.
Dr Skalicky is a glaucoma specialist who is dedicated to providing the best possible outcome for his patients. Treatments like his Selective Laser Treatment (SLT) are designed to be fast and painless procedures that can help free patients from glaucoma medications and their side effects. Dr Skalicky offers the following glaucoma specialist treatments:
- Glaucoma eye drops
- Selective Laser Treatment (SLT)
- Glaucoma drainage tube
- Glaucoma implant surgery
- Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery (MIGS)
- Narrow angles & laser peripheral iridotomy
I’m strongly dedicated to my patients and their health outcomes, and am a passionate advocate for excellence in the fields of cataract and glaucoma surgery. To achieve this, I work hard in learning and perfecting the latest glaucoma surgery techniques and technological innovations that I can offer my patients. I believe in creating a positive clinic environment, leading the members of the health team to ensure our best efforts are provided daily.
I work hard to keep abreast with the latest in medical research in my fields of expertise, always hopeful that new and better strategies are available to optimise healthcare delivery. I divide my clinic time with a career in scientific research, where I’m committed to optimising patients’ quality of life, visual outcomes and treatment satisfaction. I am involved in the teaching and training of junior doctors, medical students and supervise several scientific research projects. – Dr Simon Skalicky
- East Melbourne
- Vermont South
- Clinical Senior Lecturer at the University of Melbourne, 2014 onwards
- Clinical Senior Lecturer at the University of Sydney, 2012 onwards
- Federal Councillor Glaucoma Australia, 2016 onwards
- Chair, Ophthalmology Liaison Committee Glaucoma Australia, 2016 onwards
- Visiting Medical Officer at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital and Royal Melbourne Hospital, 2014 onwards
- World Glaucoma Association, Faculty Member and Associate Advisory Board Member, 2017 onwards
- Australian and New Zealand Glaucoma Society Committee Member (Vic Representative), 2017 onwards
- Published over 40 articles in international journals and is a reviewer for several Ophthalmology journals
- Published a highly regarded textbook on Ocular and Visual Physiology
- Lead a multi-site, Australia-wide randomised clinical trial in glaucoma
- Guest lecturer at numerous Australian and international conferences in the fields of glaucoma and ocular physiology.
- Subspecialty fellowship training in glaucoma and cataract surgery at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge UK.
- Skalicky SE, D’Mellow G, House P, Fenwick E, The Glaucoma Australia Educational Impact Study Contributors. The Glaucoma Australia Educational Impact Study: A randomized clinical trial evaluating the association between glaucoma education and patient knowledge, anxiety and treatment satisfaction. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2017 Jul
- Jao K, Atik A, Jamieson M, Sheales M, Lee MH, Porter A, Roufas A, Goldberg I, Zamir E, White AJR, Skalicky SE. Knocked by the Shuttlecock: twelve sight-threatening blunt eye injuries in Australian badminton players. Clinical and Experimental Optometry Clin Exp Optom. 2017 Jul;100(4):365-368.
- Bhullar GK, Skalicky SE, Lew HR. Bilateral Scheie's procedure with Ophthalmic Viscoelastic Device and 5-fluorouracil. Accepted - International Journal of Ophthalmology
- Lee JTL, Skalicky SE, Lim M-L. Drug-induced myopia and bilateral angle closure secondary to zolmitriptan. Journal of Glaucoma – in press
- Goh R, Kong YXG, McAlinden C, Liu J, Crowston J, Skalicky SE Objective Assessment of Activity Limitation in Glaucoma with Smartphone Virtual Reality Goggles: A Proof of Concept Study. Submitted to Translational Vision Science and Technology
- Skalicky SE, McAlinden C, Khatib T, Anthony LM, Sim SY, Martin KR, Goldberg I, McCluskey P. Activity limitation in glaucoma: Objective Assessment by the Cambridge Visual Function Test. Invest Ophthal Vis Sci. 2016;57(14):6158-66
- Kerr NM, Lew HR, Skalicky SE. Selective laser trabeculoplasty reduces intraocular pressure fluctuation in response to the water drinking test. Journal of Glaucoma 2016; 25(9): 727-731
- Goh R, Fenwick E, Skalicky SE. The Visual Function Questionnaire Utility Index: does it measure glaucoma-related preference-based status. Journal of Glaucoma 2016; 25(20): 822-829
- Lew HR, Skalicky SE. Surgical outcomes of combined trabeculectomy-cyclodialysis for Glaucoma – reply Journal of Glaucoma 2016;25(7):e727-728
- Skalicky SE, Fenwick E, Martin KR, Crowston JG, Goldberg I, McCluskey P. The impact of age-related macular degeneration in patients with glaucoma: understanding the patients’ perspective. Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 2016;44(5):377-87
- Skalicky SE, Lew HR. Combined trabeculectomy-cyclodialysis for Glaucoma. Ophthalmology Times Europe 2015;11(4):32-36
- Skalicky SE, Lew HR. Surgical outcomes of combined trabeculectomy-cyclodialysis for Glaucoma. Journal of Glaucoma 2015;24(1):37-44.
- Northey L, Skalicky SE, Gurbaxani A, McCluskey P. Syphilitic uveitis and optic neuritis in Sydney, Australia. British Journal of Ophthalmol 2015;99(9):1215-9.
- Skalicky SE, Martin KR, Fenwick E, Crowston JG, Goldberg I, McCluskey P. Cataract and Quality of Life in patients with Glaucoma. Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 2015;43(4):335-41
- Chew S, Skalicky SE, Goldberg I. Brinzolamide plus brimonidine for the treatment of glaucoma: an update. Expert Opinion in Pharmacotherapy 2014; 15(16): 2461-71.
- Lau OCF, Samarawickrama C, Skalicky SE. P2Y2 receptor agonists for the treatment of dry eye syndrome: a review. Clinical Ophthalmology 2014; 8 327-34
- Coster DJ, Lowe MT, Keane MC, Williams KA; Australian Corneal Graft Registry Contributors. A comparison of lamellar and penetrating keratoplasty outcomes: a registry study. Ophthalmology 2014;121(5):979-87
- Inglis H, Skalicky SE, Horowitz G Toxic glaucoma? A case of possible styrene-induced ocular hypertension Journal of Glaucoma 2014;23(9):658-9
- Skalicky SE, Goldberg I. Adherence and persistence: the challenges for glaucoma medical therapy. Asia Pac J of Ophthalmology 2013; 2(6) 356-61
- Skalicky SE, White AJR, Grigg JR, Martin F, Smith J, Jones M, Donaldson C, Smith JEH, Flaherty M, Jamieson RV. Microphthalmia, anopthalmia, coloboma and associated ocular and systemic features: understanding the spectrum. JAMA Ophthalmology 2013; 131(12):1517-24
- Skalicky SE, Goldberg I. Editorial: Quality of Life in Glaucoma Patients. US Ophthalmic Review 2013;6(1):6-9
- Gurbaxani A, Skalicky SE, Fraser CL, McCluskey P. Ocular complications associated with systemic medications used in Allergy/Immunology practice. Current Allergy and Asthma Reports 2013; 13(3):329-35
- Skalicky SE, Petsoglou C, Gurbaxani A, Fraser CL, McCluskey P. New agents for treating dry eye syndrome Current Allergy and Asthma Reports 2013; 13(3):322-28
- Fraser CL, Skalicky SE, Gurbaxani A, McCluskey P. Ocular myositis Current Allergy and Asthma Reports 2013; 13(3):315-21
- Skalicky SE, Clement CI Editorial: The anti-VEGF epidemic: what are the implications for glaucoma services? Journal of Current Glaucoma Practice 2012; 6(2): 55-7
- Skalicky SE, Agar A, Ho I, Bank A. Glaucoma Filtration Surgery Following Sustained Elevation of Intraocular Pressure Secondary to Intravitreal Anti-Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Injections. Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers & Imaging 2012; 43(4): 328-34
- Skalicky SE, Goldberg I, McCluskey P. Ocular surface disease and quality of life in patients with glaucoma American Journal of Ophthalmology 2012; 153(1):1-9.
- Skalicky SE, Goldberg I, McCluskey P. Ocular surface disease and quality of life in patients with glaucoma: author reply American Journal of Ophthalmology 2012;153(5):1003-4.
- Reis G, Higgins R, Skalicky SE. Cystoid macular oedema after trabeculectomy. Journal of Current Glaucoma Practice 2011; 5(1) 34-36
- Skalicky SE, Goldberg I. Editorial: Are We Ready To Assess Quality of Life Routinely in our Glaucoma Patients?Bulletin of the Belgian Societies of Ophthalmology 2010; 315: 5-7
- Skalicky SE, Goldberg I. Editorial: Glaucoma Management for the Elderly: How much can they tolerate? Geriatric Medicine in General Practice 2010; 7: 10
- Skalicky SE, Giblin M, Figueira EC, Conway RM. Central retinopathy associated with ciliary body and choroidal melanomas. British Journal of Ophthalmology 2009; 93(1): 45-46.
- Skalicky SE, Holt PE, Giblin M, Taylor S, Conway RM. Australian Cancer Network clinical practice guidelines for the management of ocular and periocular melanoma: an evidence-based literature analysis. Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 2008; 36(7): 646-58.
- Skalicky SE, Goldberg I. Depression and quality of life in patients with glaucoma-related visual field impairment: a cross-sectional analysis using the Geriatric Depression Scale-15 and the Glaucoma Quality of Life-15. Journal of Glaucoma 2008; 17(7): 546-51.
- Skalicky SE, Borovik AM, Masselos K, Pandya VB, Wang LW, Figueira EC, Wilcsek G, Francis IC. Prevalence of open-angle glaucoma, glaucoma suspect, and ocular hypertension in thyroid-related immune orbitopathy. Journal of Glaucoma 2008; 17(3): 249-250.
- Skalicky SE, Billson FA. Benign paroxysmal tonic upgaze of childhood in a hypotonic infant with Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome: a case report.Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 2008; 36(3): 291-292.
- Borovik AM, Skalicky SE, Masselos K, Brown TM, Dauber SL, Pandya VB, Figueira EC, Francis IC. The TAHITI approach to cataract surgery consent. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery 2008; 34(2): 180-1.
- Figueira EC, Wang LW, Brown TM, Masselos K, Pandya VB, Dauber SL, Lee KJY, Amjadi S, Skalicky SE, Francis IC. The grape: an appropriate model for continuous curvilinear capsulorrhexis. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery 2008; 34(9): 1610-1.
- Skalicky SE, Ow K, Hannan M, Russell PJ, Crowe PJ, Yang J-L. p53 expression is associated with malignant potential in xenograft tissues of a fibrosarcoma mouse model. Anticancer Research 2007; 27(2): 973-978.
- Skalicky SE, Hirst LW, Conway RM. Metastatic breast carcinoma presenting as a conjunctival lesion. Clinical & Experimental Ophthalmology 2007; 35(8): 767-769.
- Skalicky SE, Giblin M, Conway RM. Diffuse iris melanoma: report of a case with review of the literature. Clinical Ophthalmology 2007; 1(3): 339-342