A/Prof Anthony Hall
MBBS(Melb), MD(Melb), FRANZCO, FRACS
Associate Professor Tony Hall is a Specialist Ophthalmologist and Principal at Eye Surgery Associates, with sub-specialty expertise in the management of inflammatory eye disease. This includes uveitis, scleritis, ocular infections, and ophthalmic manifestations of systemic disease. He also manages patients with general ophthalmic conditions, such as cataract and glaucoma.
A/Prof Hall is the Director of Ophthalmology at the Alfred Hospital, where he operates and works on the general eye clinic and the diabetic eye clinic. He has also worked on aid projects in the Pacific in Kiribati, Tonga, and Vanuatu. He has undertaken research in the medical and surgical management of infectious and inflammatory eye disease, as well as cataract and glaucoma management in patients with diabetes and uveitis.
He studied medicine at Melbourne University and after working at the Royal Melbourne Hospital, he undertook his basic ophthalmology training in Melbourne from 1987-1989. He then worked as Research Fellow in Ophthalmology at Fairfield Infectious Diseases Hospital in 1990, where he undertook special training in viral eye disease and cytomegalovirus infection of the retina. In 1991 and 1992 he undertook a uveitis fellowship at Moorfields eye Hospital in London. In 1999 he was a visiting research associate at the Proctor institute at UCSF.
“I have been working as a doctor, an ophthalmologist and a uveitis specialist for over 25 years. I remain committed to ongoing research and teaching, including teaching ophthalmology trainees and medical and optometry students. I mentor young doctors at The Alfred Hospital. I continue to research and publish actively in the areas of infective and inflammatory eye disease, medical retinal disease and eye surgery.
It is important to try and understand what causes patients’ problems and to treat the problems in a manner that is effective but also as easy as possible for the patient to manage” – A/Prof Tony Hall
- East Melbourne
- Inflammatory Eye Disease
- Director of Ophthalmology at The Alfred Hospital - Current
- Associate Professor, Monash University, Department of Surgery - Current
- Chairman, Qualifications and Education Committee, RANZCO, Vic Branch 2003-2008
- Head of Unit, Department of Ophthalmology, Royal Melbourne Hospital 2000-2005
- Ophthalmologist, Ocular Immunology Clinic, RVEEH 1993-2005
- Visiting Research Associate FI Proctor Foundation, UCSF Medical Centre, San Francisco, USA. 1999
- Member, Australian South Pacific Eye Consultancy Team surgical trips to Kiribati, Central Pacific 1987, 1988 and 1994
- Australian South Pacific Eye Consultancy Team teaching trip to Vanuatu, South Pacific. 1992
- Clinical Uveitis Fellow, Moorfields Eye Hospital, London and the Institute of Ophthalmology, London 1991-1992
- Member, Australian South Pacific Eye Consultancy Team surgical trip to Tonga, South Pacific. 1991
- Fellow in Ophthalmology, Fairfield Infectious Diseases Hospital, Melbourne. 1990
- Senior Tutor in Anatomy, Physiology and Neuroscience, University of Melbourne, Department of Anatomy. 1986
- Resident Surgical Officer in Plastic Surgery, E.N.T. Surgery, Ophthalmology and Neurosurgery, Royal Melbourne Hospital. 1985
- Intern in General Medicine and General Surgery, Royal Melbourne Hospital. 1984
- Toniolo JT, Hall AJ, Smith JG, Levy J, Lim LL. Risk Factors for Glaucoma in a Cohort of Patients with Fuchs Heterochromic Iridocyclitis. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2016 Aug 5:1-7.
- Cabalag MS, Wasiak J, Syed Q, Paul E, Hall AJ, Cleland H. Risk Factors for Ocular Burn Injuries Requiring Surgery. J Burn Care Res. 2016 June
- Parsons SR, Sherwin JC, Hall AJ. Is the incidence of blindness in Australia falling? Results from 2008-2014. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2015 10.1111/ceo.12669.
- Kocak ED, Sherwin JC, Hall AJ. Cytomegalovirus disease in immunocompetent adults. Med J Aust. 2015 May 4;202(8):419.
- Cabalag MS, Wasiak J, Syed Q, Paul E, Hall AJ, Cleland H. Early and late complications of ocular burn injuries. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2015 Mar;68(3):356-61.
- Continuing fingolimod after development of macular oedema: A case report. Li V, Kane J, Chan HH, Hall AJ, Butzkueven H. Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm. 2014 May 15;1(2):e13
- A comparison of lamellar and penetrating keratoplasty outcomes: a registry study. Coster DJ, Lowe MT, Keane MC, Williams KA; Australian Corneal Graft Registry Contributors. Ophthalmology. 2014 May;121(5):979-87.
- Hii BW, Mahar PD, Wasiak J, Hall AJ, Paul E, Marsh P, Buck DA, Cleland H. Hospital management and clinical factors associated with ophthalmic involvement in Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis. Burns. 2014; 40:903-908.
- Toniolo J, Hall AJ, Sims J, Bell SF, Khan J, Younan C, Kent-Smith B, Young S, Paul E, Lim LL. Retrospective analysis of the natural history and management of serpiginous choroiditis in Australia and New Zealand. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2013 Dec 12. doi: 10.1111/ceo.12283.
- Chiam NPY, Hall AJH, Stawell RJ, Busija L, Lim LLP The course of uveitis in pregnancy and postpartum. Br J Ophthalmol. 2013;97(10):1284-8.
- Wang B, Hall AJ and Ong D. What's new in the management of diabetic retinopathy. Diabetes management. 2012 Dec ; 41:22-25
- Divya S. Pratap, Lyndell L. Lim, Jie Jin Wang, David A. Mackey, Lisa S. Kearns, Richard J. Stawell, Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium 2, Kathryn P. Burdon, Paul Mitchell, Jamie E. Craig, Anthony J. Hall, Alex W. Hewitt. The role of toll-like receptor variants in acute anterior uveitis. Molecular Vision 2011; 17:2970-2977
- Racunica T, Cassidy D, Cicuttini F, Hall AJ. Trouble with tumor necrosis factor alpha inhibitors, not just tuberculosis. Arthritis Care Res. 2010 Jun;62(6):770-4.
- Amaratunge BC, Camuglia JE, Hall AJ. Syphilitic uveitis: a review of clinical manifestations and treatment outcomes of syphilitic uveitis in human immunodeficiency virus-positive and negative patients. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2010 Jan;38(1):68-74.
- Szental JA, Kam JK, Yohendran J, Morrissey O, Hall AJ. Presumed Scopulariopsis brevicaulis chorioretinitis in a stem cell transplant recipient. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2010 Apr;38(3):314-5.
- Leonardi A and Hall AJ. Mechanisms of corneal allergic reaction: new options for treatment. Exp rev ophthalmol 2010, Vol. 5, No. 4 , 545-556
- Camuglia JE, Beltz JE, Khurana K, Hall AJ. An unusual cause of visual loss after Herpes zoster ophthalmicus: a case report. Cases J. 2010 Jan 12;3(1):17.
- Downie LC, Hall AJ, Komesaroff PA. Ethical issues when conducting trials of new intraocular lens technology. Am J Ophthalmol. 2009 Sep;148(3):473.
- Camuglia JE, Whitford CL, Hall AJ. Juvenile idiopathic arthritis associated uveitis in adults: a case series. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2009 Sep-Oct;17(5):330-4.
- Wickremasinghe S, Ling C, Stawell R, Yeoh J, Hall AJ, Zamir E. Syphilitic punctate inner retinitis in immunocompetent gay men. Ophthalmol. 2009;116(6):1195-200.
- Grimm SA, McCannel CA, Omuro AM, Ferreri AJ, Blay JY, Neuwelt EA, Siegal T, Batchelor T, Jahnke K, Shenkier TN, Hall AJ, Graus F, Herrlinger U, Schiff D, Raizer J, Rubenstein J, Laperriere N, Thiel E, Doolittle N, Iwamoto FM, Abrey LE. Primary CNS lymphoma with intraocular involvement: International PCNSL Collaborative Group Report. Neurology. 2008 ;71(17):1355-60.
- Amaratunge BC, Hall AJ. Ocular syphilis in Victoria: four new cases and a brief discussion of the current Victorian experience. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2008; 36:192-4.
- Keech AC, Mitchell P, Summanen PA, et al for the FIELD study investigators. Effect of fenofibrate on the need for laser treatment for diabetic retinopathy (FIELD study): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2007 ;370:1687-97.
- Grimm SA, Pulido JS, Jahnke K, Schiff D, Hall AJ, Shenkier TN, Siegal T, Doolittle ND, Batchelor T, Herrlinger U, Neuwelt EA, Laperriere N, Chamberlain MC, Blay JY, Ferreri AJ, Omuro AM, Thiel E, Abrey LE. Primary intraocular lymphoma: an International Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma Collaborative Group Report. Ann Oncol. 2007 ;18(11):1851-5.
- Goldstein DA; Godfrey DG; Hall AJ; Callanan DG; Jaffe GJ; Pearson PA; Usner DW; Comstock TL. Intraocular Pressure in Patients With Uveitis Treated With Fluocinolone Acetonide Implants. Arch Ophthalmol 2007;125 1478-1485
- Gutteridge IF, Hall AJ. Acute anterior uveitis in primary care. Clin Exp Optom. 2007;90(2):70-82.
- Weisinger HS, Steinfort D, Zimmet AD, Hall AJ, Pesudovs K. Sarcoidosis: case report and review. Clin Exp Optom. 2006 Nov;89(6):361-7.
- Vote BJ, Hall AJ, Cairns J, and Buttery R. Changing trends in sympathetic Ophthalmia. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2004;32:542-545.
- Hoffman PM, McKelvie P, Hall AJ, Stawell RJ, Santamaria JD. Intraocular lymphoma: a series of 14 patients with clinicopathological features and treatment outcomes. Eye. 2003 May;17(4):513-21.
- Carden SM, Meusemann R, Walker J, Stawell RJ, MacKinnon JR, Smith D, Stawell AM, Hall AJ. Toxocara canis: egg presence in Melbourne parks and disease incidence in Victoria. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2003 Apr;31(2):143-6.
- Mackey DA, Fingert JH, Luzhansky JZ, McCluskey PJ, Howell N, Hall AJH, Pierce AB and Hoy JF. Leber’s hereditary optic neuropathy triggered by antiretroviral therapy for human immunodeficiency virus. Eye. 2003;17:312-317
- Stawell RJ, Hall AJ. Eye signs in systemic disease. Aust. Fam. Physician. 2002; 31(3):217-23
- Spencer T, Hall AJ, Stawell RJ. Ophthalmologic sequelae of thermal burns over ten years at The Alfred Hospital. Ophthalmol. Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 2002; 18(3):196-201
- McKelvie PA, Wong EY, Chow LP, Hall AJ. Scedosporium endophthalmitis: two fatal disseminated cases of Scedosporium infection presenting with endophthalmitis. Clin. Exp. Ophthalmol. 2001; 29(5):330-4
- Thean JH, Hall AJ, Stawell RJ. Uveitis in Herpes Zoster Ophthalmicus. Clin. Exp. Ophthalmol. 2001; 29(6):406-10
- Hall AJ. Effective local treatment for severe ocular inflammatory disease: toward the Holy Grail. [letter; comment]. [Comment. Editorial] Clinical & Experimental Ophthalmology. 29(1):1, 2001
- Luzhansky JZ. Pierce AB. Hoy JF. Hall AJ. Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy in the setting of nucleoside analogue toxicity. AIDS. 15(12):1588-9, 2001
- GW Bylsma, AJH Hall, J Szer and R West. Atypical retinal microvasculopathy after bone marrow transplantation. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2001; 29:225-229.
- NA Spencer, AJ Hall and RJ Stawell. Nd:YAG laser iridotomy in uveitic glaucoma. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2001; 29:217-219.
- Book Chapter: Differential diagnosis and management of inflammation affecting the retina and/or choroid. In: HIV and the eye. Edited by Susan Lightman. London: Imperial College Press. 2000
- Book Chapter: Hall AJH. Episcleritis. In: Fundamentals of clinical ophthalmology. Scleritis. Edited by Peter McCluskey. London: BMJ Books. 2000
- Cherry CL. Mijch AM. Hoy JF. Hall AJ. Hellard ME. Bryant M. DeGraaff B. Fairley CK. HIV associated cytomegalovirus retinitis in Melbourne, Australia. [Letter] Sexually Transmitted Infections. 76(3):221, 2000
- Liu W, Shum C, Martin DF, Kuppermann BD, Hall AJH and Margolis TP. Prevalence of antiviral drug resistance in untreated patients with cytomegalovirus retinitis. J Inf Dis 2000;182:1234-8
- SR Cochrane, AJH Hall, RJ Stawell. Orbital floor steroids in non-necrotising scleritis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2000; 41: S784.
- Hall AJH, GW Bylsma, J Szer. Atypical retinal microvasculopathy following bone marrow transplantation. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2000; 41: S356.
- Hall AJH. Secondary glaucoma. Clin Exp Optom 2000; 83: 190-194.
- Hall AJH. Drugs for allergic eye conditions. Current therapeutics 2000; Supp 10: S24-S31.
- Hall, AJH. Chronic ocular irritation. Current therapeutics 1999; 34-35.
- Whiting MAN, Kaufman DV, Hall AJH, Daniell MD. Patient attitudes and awareness of diabetic eye disease. Med J Aust 1998;169: 397.
- Book Chapter: Hall AJH. Other disorders affecting the choroid and retina. In: Fundamentals of clinical ophthalmology. Uveitis . Edited by Susan Lightman and Hamish Towler. London: BMJ Books. 1998
- Chiu DW, Meusemann RA, Kaufman DV, Hall AJH and Daniell MD. Visual outcome and progression of retinopathy after cataract surgery in diabetic patients. Aust NZ J Ophthalmol 1998;26:129-133.
- Detering K, Jenney A, Hall AJH, Fuller A, Pickles R and Snell G. Metastatic choroidal abscess due to Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cystic fibrosis. Clin Inf Dis 1997; 24:525-526.
- Hall AJH, Hoy JF, Hayes K, Maclean H, Stewart K and Lucas CR. Cytomegalovirus viraemia is associated with CMV retinitis and mortality in HIV infected patients. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1997; 38: pS685.
- Steiner H, Stawell RJ, Hall AJH. Nocardial scleritis. Oc Immunol Inflam 1997; 5:S91.
- Book Chapter: Hall AJH. Retinal infections. In: The Retina: a colour atlas. Edited by Peter Hamilton, Richard Gregson and Gavin Orr. London: Martin Dunitz Publishers. 1997.
- Hall AJH, Stawell RJ. Macular oedema in AIDS patients with cytomegalovirus retinitis. Oc Immunol Inflam 1997; 5:S68-69.
- McCluskey PJ, Hall AJH, Lightman S. HIV and eye disease. Med J Aust 1996; 164: 484-487.
- Maclean H, Hall AJH, McCombe M, Sandland M. AIDS and the eye. A 10 year experience. Aust NZ J Ophthalmol 1996; 24: 61-67.
- Riddington L, Hall AJH, Tait B, Nicholson I and Varney M. Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada syndrome in patients of Vietnamese ancestry. Aust NZ J Ophthalmol 1996; 24:147-150
- Gioulakis J, Hall AJH. Uveitis associated with rifabutin therapy. Aust NZ J Ophthalmol 1995; 23:319-321
- Hall AJH, Stawell R. HIV related uveo-myelitis. Arch Ophthalmol 1994; 112: 1144-1145.
- Barton K, Hall AJH, Rosen PH, Cooling RJ, Lightman S. Systemic steroid prophylaxis for cataract surgery in patients with posterior uveitis. Ocular Immunol Inflam. 1994; 2:207-217.
- Hall AJH, Barton K, Watson PG and Lightman S. Scleritis in association with post streptococcal vasculitis. Arch Ophthalmol 1993; 111:1324-1325
- Book Chapter: Hall AJH, Mitchell S, Maclean H, Lucas CR, Lightman S. Risk factors for relapse of CMV retinitis in AIDS patients. In: Recent Advances in Uveitis, Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Uveitis Brussels, Belgium. Amsterdam: Kugler Publications. 1993: 325-328.
- Hall AJH, Harper CA, Renehan M. Aetiology of Ocular Toxoplasmosis in Melbourne. Aust NZ J Ophthalmol. 1993;21:29-30.
- Hall AJH, Greenwood J, Patel BCK, Towler HMA, Lightman S. The effect of cytokines on the blood-retinal barrier of the anaesthetised rat. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1992; 33: p852.
- Hall AJH, Greenwood J, Patel BCK, Brada M and Lightman S. The effect of histamine and interleukin 2 on the blood brain and blood retinal barriers of the anaesthetised rat. J. Physiol 1992:446.
- Hall AJH, Jennens I, Lucas CR, Maclean H, Sandland AM. Low Frequency Maintenance Ganciclovir For CMV Retinitis. Scan J Inf Dis 1991;23:p 43-46.